Sweet potato skins. Is there anything better? Oh yes there is, and that’s when those skins are filled with creamy, cheesy sweet potato mash and beans and become stuffed sweet potato skins.
I’ve made sweet potato skins from the peelings of a sweet potato. All you need to do is toss the peelings in a smidgen of oil, sprinkle with salt and bake. Make sure you’ve scrubbed the potatoes first before peeling them and then those sweet potato skins become delicious chips.
But sometimes you want something heartier than chips. With the weather cooling down chips just don’t satiate enough. I find I need something more filling, something with enough fibre that I don’t feel like I need to find another meal too soon. And stuffing sweet potato skins does the trick.
If I’m organised I will roast the potatoes the day before. It often happens that I’m making something the night before and the oven is on and then I think of these sweet potato skins and put them in the oven ready to make them the next day. That’s no good if you want them right now, but it gives you something to look forward to. It also gives the potato plenty of time to cool down.
A little over cooked is better than undercooked. The insides become mushier and easier to mash.
Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 90mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Australian
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp savoury yeast flakes
- 150 g vegan cheese
- 1 can red kidney beans
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 180 degrees Celsius for 45-60 minutes, or until they’re soft when pierced with a fork.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooling, sáute the shallots with the butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the fresh spinach and heat for 2-3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Set aside.
- Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer on the skin so that it can stand up on its own.
- Brush the outside of the potato skins with oil and bake for about 5 minutes until crispy.
- Mash the sweet potato with the coconut cream, savoury yeast flakes and vegan cheese.
- Stir in the red kidney beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skins from the oven and fill each skin with the sweet potato mixture.
- Top with pine nuts.
- Bake again for 10-15 minutes, or until filling is heated through.