Day 8 of Salad a Day
Rocket pear and walnut salad
This is a simple recipe that I’ve seen served in restaurants. A simple combination of just 6 ingredients creates an interesting combination of texture and flavour. I have also served this as part of a 4 course meal to 10 hungry university students and the four courses came in at under $7 per person. Ingredients that don’t cost a lot can come together in a way that shouts decadence in your mouth. You can replace the walnuts with sunflower seeds to make it nut free.Print
Rocket, Pear and Walnut Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Australian
- 3 pears
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons rapadura sugar
- 1 large bag rocket
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (extra)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Leaving the skins on, slice pears thinly into match sticks.
- Place in a bowl. Pour balsamic vinegar and sugar over the pears. Toss to combine.
- Lay pears on a tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 15 mins.
- Chop walnuts and place onto an oven tray.
- In the last 5 minutes of roasting pears, add the walnuts to the oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Place rocket in bowl. Toss extra balsamic vinegar through rocket.
- Add cooled pears and walnuts.
This is part of #saladaday – A fresh, new salad everyday for 30 days. After being inundated with requests to have all the salad recipes together, I’ve collated them all into an ebook, which is on sale here.